Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Future of the Blog

Yesterday I received an invitation to write for a new blog site operated by the Archdiocese of Cincinnati.  I am happily accepting as a regular contributor to that site.  This is all fine and good, but, as you may have noticed, my time is becoming stretched and posts are becoming more and more scarce.  So, I have a new plan...

I intend to use this blog for three purposes:

-Youth Ministry updates (for example:  you can access the talk from Sunday's Youth Night by clicking HERE).
-Guest posts from teens and adult Core members.
-A place where I can provide commentary on the materials I am reading for my grad Theology work.

You can access my work for the Integrated Catholic Life here.  This site is more of an e-magazine, which asks for longer pieces.  I intend for these pieces to have a slight philosophical bent.

I will be getting information soon about the Archdiocese of Cincinnati site.  My presumption is that those posts will be on living out the faith/teaching the faith.  This is yet to be determined. 

For the time being, you may enjoy thinking about this quote in today's New York Times:  "I definitely think in 2012, what was good enough even five years ago, is no longer good enough."  This is from Michael Duffy, the former director of New York City's charter school office.

While he is referring specifically to schools, the question is applicable across the board.  Very few things we have, hear or see that are 5+ years old are still "good enough."  Technology has had a dramatic influence.  My question in response to Mr. Duffy's poignant observation is simply is anything timeless?  Is there anything lasting in this world of transition and obsolete material?  Are those "things" really worth anything nowadays?

No comments:

Post a Comment