Wednesday, October 6, 2010

On Adoration



"The Catholic Church has always offered and still offers to the sacrament of the Eucharist the cult of adoration, not only during Mass, but also outside of it, reserving the consecrated hosts with the utmost care, exposing them to the solemn veneration of the faithful, and carrying them in procession" (Catechism of the Catholic Church 1378).

This Sunday, St. Gertrude High School Youth Ministry will have its first Adoration Night of the year. The video highlights the power of the exposed Eucharist, and the CCC points to the tradition of Eucharistic Adoration in the Church. Adoration is, in short, an extension of the Mass. That which we adore, we receive, we eat.

I'd like to point out two simple things to help with our understanding of Adoration:

  1. Genesis 2:9 says, "And out of the ground the Lord God made to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight and good for food." Notice the syntax here. The verse first says the tree and fruit of the tree is pleasant to the sight. It is worthy of being adored. It is beautiful to behold. The verse follows immediately with "and good for food." That which is adored is good to eat, it gives us life. These two statements go hand-in-hand.
  2. I will now attempt an Adoration analogy to help it make further sense. Without fail, Thanksgiving happens every year (and the Lions lose). On that day, I stand around a table heaping with beautifully delicious-looking food and pray with my family (while drooling and seriously thinking about drinking the gravy!). That time of prayer is a time of adoration of, and deep gratitude for, what I am about to receive. Eucharistic Adoration is much the same. We look at the beauty of the Bread of Life and long to partake in the Banquet.

3 comments:

  1. Eucharistic Adoration is one of the greatest and most powerful things the Church through Christ's authority offers. I know from my own experience that when I sit and just look at the blessed sacrement I feel a peace and happiness. When I feel that happiness I realize what Father Michael means when he says that God wants us to be happy. I have also been a second party experiencing the power of the Blessed Sacrament at Credo. I have seen people start uncontrolably crying for no reason other than their love for God. I have also seen people collapse after the Blessed Sacrement has been processed by them. Why does this happen? I have heard that it is called resting in the Spirit and that it is just the uncontrolable power of God over the human being. It is God's way of talking to that person. By the way Adoration nights are my favorite nights of the Youth Group callender

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool video! What's the story behind it? Is that a yearly procession they do? Good Thanksgiving analogy Brad! I like the simplicity of the explanation.
    I personally crave the silence of adoration. I enjoy being able to sit in silence, staring into the center of the monstrance, clearing my mind and listening for God's voice. I feel that I do some of my best listening during adoration. The act of simply being in the presence of our Lord is a gift, and a gift that shouldn't be taken for granted. I think of the people around the world who don't have the option of living near a church, a church that has been blessed with so many priests, and how they may go weeks or months at a time without having the option of even attending Mass, much less spending time in adoration. It's a gift that is under utilized!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate,

    According to the Grassroots Films site (http://www.grassrootsfilms.com/main.html), this was a procession that took place during the Year of the Eucharist. The monstrance used was one of 6 blessed by JPII before he died. Grassroots does some sweet stuff...The Human Experience is amazing.

    Paul,

    Thanks for your testimony. The Eucharist is powerful, indeed. I also appreciate your honest question. Everything we do should be discerned (1 John 4:1)...the same goes in prayer. Deep in our hearts, we can hear one of three voices...our own voice, God's voice or the enemy's voice. It's up to each of us to discern who is speaking. I think this applies well to manifestations in prayer. Being slain in the Spirit, or resting in the Spirit, needs to be discerned. I've found that it usually involves one of two of the voices I mentioned. Either God is working deep inside a person and is inviting him/her (God always invites...he never forces)to rest, to allow Him the freedom to work. I've talked to many people who have had these sorts of genuine experiences and have had tons of healing through them. Typically, the second voice is the person's voice...sometimes people see others having an emotional experience around them, and want to have it too...so it's a little forced! I've been around this as well.

    Regarding laughing or crying...it's much the same. What the Lord is doing deep inside is manifested through the senses.

    Bottom line...openness and discernment is key!

    I hope that helps.

    -Brad

    ReplyDelete