Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Quick Note on Media Coverage

Many of you were probably aware that World Youth Day was happening in Madrid, Spain last week.  The Pope and over one million (one of our teens said the estimated attendance was actually 2.5 million) young people from all around the world gathered to celebrate Catholicism.  To me, any time one million people meet up in one place, at one time, for one thing, something newsworthy is happening.

I kept up with the WYD events through various Catholic media outlets, and was not terribly surprised to find no mention of it when I made my daily CNN news-check.  I did get curious to know just how deep into the CNN site I would have to dig to locate anything about the Pope and the youth.

Deep.

One had to move from the main page to the "World" tab.  From there, scroll down to the bottom of the page and locate the Europe section.  Here, there is a tiny link with a brief overview about World Youth Day.

This, to me, serves as an important reminder for all of us how limiting the "powers that be" really are and how much influence these "powers" have in determining what is news/important and what isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment