Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Way Hardcore

Typically, there are simultaneous do-it-yourself projects happening at my house. These projects are both exciting and stressful for obvious reasons.

Often, I find that I'm a little apprehensive about starting a project, because it will turn out to be much more work than I intended. When you start tearing into something, the problem is usually way hardcore...



Really, though, it is. I'm sure many of you have experienced this with any given project...a research paper you're initially stoked about, then you realize there aren't any primary sources for your topic, or you want to learn how to play piano and get frustrated when you don't pick it up in 10 minutes.

Sometimes the do-it-yourself projects turn out to be way hardcore.

More than we bargained for (I couldn't resist the rhyme).

So, typically in those situations, I seek help. And, I think this provides some insight into the spiritual life. See, we're all broken people. Sin breaks us. The sins of others break us. Most of us realize that there's a problem and we take it upon ourselves to shoulder the burden. I become Mr. Fix-it for my spiritual brokenness.

But the brokenness is too hardcore. Literally, it has made my core (my heart) hard...impenetrable...thick-sculled!

If when I begin a project in the material world that is far over my head and I seek an expert out, why do I not do the same thing in the spiritual life?

This is where the Resurrection of Christ comes in. See, most all of us spend a majority of time in the grave...sin...brokenness...you get the point. Christ has been there. He experienced it, but He didn't stay there. And He doesn't want you to either.

The Resurrection of Christ is an invitation for each of us to allow Him into our broken lives and make them whole. He wants God's life (grace) within us that we might be made whole, that we might have life.

The Resurrection of Christ demolishes our hardness of heart (our hard core), but only if we allow it. Meaning, only if we surrender our feelings of being overwhelmed at our hurt and the fear that healing might be painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment